Sunday, July 24, 2011

Inspiration does not come "on demand."

Yesterday I spent about six hours in the studio with only three cards to show for it.  I just couldn't get inspired. It is not on my brain channel 1, like Movies on Demand. I had to surf my brain by straightening up, going through my paper stash and discarding what I know I will never use, and throwing in the "to be given away to a kindergarten teacher" or "what was I thinking when I bought these?" piles. Things bought when I was just getting started, thinking that surely I would need thousands of sequins, brads in the shape of dog bones, and stickers of all kinds.

Some stickers I kept: vellum butterflies, gold, silver, and copper filigree sayings from a store a stone's throw from my daughter's apartment near Granville Island in Vancouver. I use them sparingly because once they're gone, they're gone. They remind me of precious time we spent together.

I didn't know who I was artistically four years ago. I have since found that I have certain fallback designs like a signature scent. I've learned that I don't like to design for men or boys and rarely even new baby boys. I like tone-on-tone, color-blocking, flowers (obviously), rhinestones. I love squares.

And I want a Cricut after all.

When the creative well is dry, I punch flowers. I glue layers together. I put centers on them. Punch, glue, punch, glue.  I look through card stock. I look at photos of old cards. I surf the net.

And then something comes. What came to me yesterday:  flowerpots. And I know I'll design cards with flowerpots until I'm done.

The previous post shows phase one of my idea, and one photo shows three of the framed pots, to be used for birthday or thank you or just to say hi cards.

Making the flowers takes hours, but it is a satisfying task:  cultivate the soil + enrich it + plant seeds + water seedlings = flowers.  Boom.  In one afternoon and evening.

2 comments:

  1. I am loving reading your blog. I can apply the same principle to my writing: when the creative well runs dry just keep wrting- and something comes! Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! You found blogspot! Can't wait to see "the search for Joy" up and running. Thanks for the comment! Check out Hannah's at The Storialist. Link on left.

    ReplyDelete