Friday, May 30, 2014

I've been asked to teach a craft class!

My husband works at a private social service agency that cares for individuals with developmental, physical, and emotional disabilities. He was arranging off-site classes for the summer quarter, and he wasn't able to find a teacher for a craft class. All of his known vendors were busy or too expensive. Then TA-DA, here I come to save the day! I have a new vendor's license, love to teach, love to craft, and since my vocation was nursing, I have had experience with that population. Plus he will be there to help them and me, and make it fun for all. We'll have him do one too!

Joann's Fabrics has been kind enough to give us a craft room to use gratis provided that we purchase our items from the store. Easy-peasy since that's my second home. The one-hour weekly class will include women with varying dexterity levels and cognitive abilities. I want some activities that would be interesting and not geared toward children, since these are adults, some even as old as I am, deserving of dignity.

The first class is on July 2, so I'd like to do a 4th of July-related craft, but not your typical glue-foam-stars-on-sticks kind of thing. I was planning to do a pomander ball (thank you, Pinterest) later in the quarter, but wouldn't it be fun to do one with patriotic-themed paper? Small stars, small red and white stripes, etc. I don't know; maybe solid red and blue with pearl corsage pins piercing a little star in the centers. I'll have to think about it and make one first. I already have the Martha Stewart punch (of course). Each pomander takes 300 flowers, which I will prepare in advance (starting yesterday). and I think I'll have to prepunch tiny holes in the centers and maybe even use glue somehow so the pins don't pop out and pierce fingers.

This will be a good weekend to play with it. But every weekend is good for that, and until I have grandchildren and some of my time is occupied with spoiling them rotten, I'll be in my craft room.

Happy end of May! Spring has seemed so short since winter was so looooong.

Best,
Anne


No comments:

Post a Comment