Monday, June 2, 2014

No, your eyes are not out of focus . . .



I spent most of Sunday (yesterday) in my basement studio, surfacing only to plant some morning glories, admire my husband’s vegetable garden, and grab a snack. Great day!

I created some cards using these white translucent flowers which I made from three or four layers of vellum daisies, glued together, then I affixed a punched sunburst in the center. The glue kind of shrinks the paper in the middle a little bit, which horrified me at first, but I think it gave the flowers some dimension.  Positive spin! Let me know what you think.

So I made some cards with these glue-dotted to a 3.5x5.5” card, with three pearls underneath. I went upstairs for some more coffee and when I returned to the studio to admire my work I was certain that I had had a stroke when I put the pearls on. They were so off-center that I was embarrassed. I should have measured and placed pencil dots where I wanted them to go but I have a tendency to eyeball things and sometimes with questionable results.
 
To save these 12 flowers I cut a square around them (measured), mounted on a colored cardstock, and affixed them diamond-like on a square card. One pearl left and right.  Saved.
 
Then I had been on the internet searching for cute ideas for the class I may be teaching, and came across some cards made with circles punched from paint chips, which I have in abundant supply, collected over the years. (I also found a comment on a blog about the immorality of taking paint chips if you aren’t buying paint, and I felt guilty. Whenever I see paint chips I am like the seagulls in Finding Nemo: mine! mine! I love color and NEED TO HAVE ALL OF THEM).

Anyway, I made three cards, eyeballing the first only, and then measuring and penciling dots. My husband always uses the adage “Measure twice, cut once,” and I am finally taking his advice. (Same with knitting: check gauge.) I love them!

I think I am going to somehow find or make a grid to transfer for guiding my dot placement. Oh, right, graph paper!








2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Michele! You are my most faithful follower and I am so grateful.

      Love you.

      Delete