Sunday, June 26, 2011



Last night I watched a PBS documentary (thank you, Netflix and iPad!) called Between the Folds. It was about origami as an art form, mathematical challenge, and passion, and (most impressively) its passionate artists. If you have a chance, you should see it.

I was most inspired by the artists themselves: from a simple square of paper, out pops a sculpture: a samurai, a grasshopper, a fish, a free-form sculpture of pure design that "just happened" when the artist began folding paper. "Just start," I heard. Looking for inspiration? Just let your mind rest a while and an idea WILL emerge.

I'm trusting that they are right.

This is a gloomy, rainy day in central Ohio, apparently one of many more to come, much to the chagrin of my husband and his garden. All vines and no tomatoes. Shy flowers, yellowing leaves from too much rain.

Lessons to be learned: timing is important; there is such a thing as too much of a good thing; right place, right time; and it is, after all, what it is.

My studio in the basement is all but devoid of natural light but my bright worklight and all of the colored papers are cheerful. No such thing as overwatering MY flowers! Mine bloom when I tell them to, as if by magic. And with the help of craft punches, glue, rhinestones, brads, and scads of Scotch double-sided tape, they bloom where they are planted and never need weeding.

Till next time.

2 comments:

  1. Good morning Anne...I hope the sun visits you soon. I too am fascinated by origami...how do they do it, I always wonder. I love the basket of flowers and I love your lessons. Wishing you a great week! -m

    ReplyDelete
  2. That documentary sounds wonderful--I'll have to check it out! Sounds like you had an inspiring day.

    ReplyDelete